Saturday, June 23, 2012

The one with all the TV clips

Yes, that's right. Today's blog will talk about TV! And of course you can't talk about TV without talking about commercials.........really dumb commercials.

OK, maybe that last part was a little rude, but I have to say, the commercials that are on right now? Are really, and truly awful. I will say, too, though, that there are some that are really great. Although they are few and far between. Take a look;

                          Now be honest. Doesn't that dog's butt really make you want to eat a Starburst? 


I want to show you one that I actually like so you can see I do have a sense of humor. I like this so much that Dan and I catch ourselves trying to come up with our own scripts that sound like this;
They do have other commercials on these same lines, and I have YouTubed every one of them. I love them. 
Well, as much as you can love a commercial.


 For this next commercial, my husband and I have talked many times, and we can't seem to understand how all these people are able to afford these huge houses with new furniture and appliances, as well as be home in the middle of the day. Maybe you can explain it?
I have to say, they do make you want to buy the appliances. So, in essence, the commercials are doing their job.......but do they have to be so annoying about it?

Now, this commercial shows one of the things that I really hate: BAD OVER ACTING! I thought that was supposed to stay on infomercials?
I guess they did it on purpose.......but why?
The Crunchy Nut man isn't as bad as the guy eating the cereal. He's just plain goofy acting.




Alright. I guess I've bashed enough commercials for now. So on to the main event; TV.
I have always been friends with my TV. When I was much younger and still lived with my parents, I had a TV in my room that stayed on almost all night. It was good company for me and it helped me to sleep so I left it on. Sometimes I'd be pretty restless and wake up at 1 AM without being able to go back to sleep and I'd put in a movie to watch. Needless to say that growing older and the stress of life made that restlessness go away for the most part, so that doesn't happen anymore. It also helps to have Dan right next to me. So I pretty much sleep like a log now.
But I still like TV. Especially at night before bed and I have to say that I love British TV, and I think that develops when you start seeing how many American shows have ripped off British comedy. Sometimes you can watch the American version of something and think it's dumb, but you may love the British version. Or vise versa. Lets talk about some of my top choices in TV.

One of my favorite shows of all time is The Office (American version). Now, this show started off as a British show as well, and was written by Ricky Gervais, who also starred on the show. I think the main reason that I don't like the British Office, is because I don't care much for Ricky Gervais. Something about him gets on my nerves, so therefore I can't really stand to watch him in great quantity. I am thankful that he came up with this idea, though, because now I can watch things like this. And unless you've seen the whole series, that probably made no sense to you. But that's OK. You may be curious and want to start watching now.



Let's see. Where do I go from here? Ah, yes. I was talking about British comedy. There are so many good shows out there that it's hard to keep track. In fact, Saturday nights here at home are spent watching British TV. PBS airs 2 shows ever week that Dan and I rarely miss. One of them is Keeping up Appearances.


And the other one is Are you being Served?. If for some reason it's "pledge week" which seems to happen for about 3 weeks every 3-4 months (?), we will watch something else British on Netflix. It's hard to explain, but once you get in a routine of something, like watching a particular program on a certain night, it's hard to kick the habit.



I guess that's why when House was canceled, I not only wanted to watch that series on Monday nights, I wanted to watch A Bit of Fry and Laurie, where Hugh got his "big start". I don't think most people even know he's a British actor because of the great job he did playing an obnoxious American on House.


Speaking of, I'm actually surprised I liked that show. House, that is. I was afraid I wouldn't when I saw it for the first time, but I actually got pretty crazy about it by the time it ended, and now I get to go back and watch all the seasons and see new episodes since I didn't officially start watching until the end. Sometimes it pays to be behind.

As for this show, "Black Books", it's probably more of an acquired taste. I wasn't sure about it the first time I saw it, but I got attached to it awfully fast. Bernard is the character you love to hate, and Manny, played by Bill Bailey, is so very funny. I've watched a few of his solo stage performances, and his gift of humor is great.


The I.T. Crowd has a little computer humor in it, but you don't have to be "tech savvy" to enjoy it. I actually learned a thing or two from it, and now when I'm told someone has computer problems, my first question is "have you tried turning it off and on again?"
I'm actually kind of glad the American version of this flopped. It just wouldn't be right without Roy.

"Coupling". The British "Friends".
Friends came out first, but I watched Coupling before I really got in to the American version. Now, as was "The Office", I'm thinking I like the American version better.
As I said about Black Books, this is probably more of an acquired taste.



And now, "Friends". This was a show that, growing up, I was never allowed to watch. I can understand it would be a little to adult for kids, but for adults it can be really funny. When I don't want to think about a lot......I like watching Friends. It's easy to watch and understand.
I also like how their episodes are all named "The One With......" Hence the name of my blog post.


Speaking of American comedy, I had almost forgot my "newest favorite". The Big Bang Theory's title turned me off at first. I didn't think that I would like it because I was afraid it would be to scientific for my tastes. Turns out I was wrong. These people all work so well together and play their parts perfectly. And let's face it......who doesn't want to be friends with Sheldon for like.........2 minutes?


For my final clip (because I have to quit eventually), I will show Fraiser. Even though he seems snooty, I really like watching Frasier. I never really cared that much for Cheers, but Frasier was something I could follow. And they picked the perfect person to play Niles (his brother). They play off each other very well.



So, these, in a nutshell, are my favorite TV shows, with the exception of some of the old classics (i.e. The Andy Griffith Show, I love Lucy, etc.) I hope that I have introduced you to something that you like, or reminded you of something you used to like. Feel free to leave me a comment about your most loved or hated TV shows, as well as commercials. I'm always open to new things!

No comments: